1. Aims and Objectives :-
The basic objective of Accounts Department is to keep records of financial transactions of99 NDMC in an accurate, transparent and time-bound manner. Accounts Department is also responsible for preparing accounts of the Council on monthly basis and yearly basis which are also placed before the Council in its meeting. The mission of preparation of monthly accounts is to enable one to know the financial position of the Council on a particular date. The Accounts Department is also responsible to provide qualified Accountants in various departments of the NDMC and impart them practical training from time to time as well as to conduct refresher courses so that they are kept well informed with the latest developments in the systematic accounting procedures.
Mission of the Accounts Department is to keep the accounts of Council upto date in a transparent and time-bound manner as per rules and regulations followed in the Council. It is the Vision of Accounts Department to adopt newer techniques of accounting to keep pace with the modern accounting system.
3. Brief history and background for its establishment:-
Accounts Department is being run as a functionary right from the inception of NDMC. Before enactment of NDMC Act, 1994, this Council was governed by Punjab Municipal Act and the provisions of Municipal Account Code, 1930 were being followed. After enactment of NDMC Act, 1994, NDMC is in the process of framing its own Account Code/Account Manual and bye-laws under the NDMC Act.
Previously the accounts of NDMC were being maintained on single entry basis (On cash basis) prevailing in Central Government Departments/State Governments. After the directions of the Supreme Court of India, 2001, NDMC is in the process of converting its accounts from Single Entry System to Double Entry System (Accrual Based Account System) so as to reflect the true financial status in its annual accounts.
4. Organization Chart:
The Accounts Department is headed by Chief Accounts Officer who is assisted by three Joint Chief Accounts Officers (I & II, III) and a Deputy Director (Cash) as per Organization Chart.
5. Allocation of business:
Each branch/unit functioning under Accounts Department has been assigned the following business:-
a) Computer Billing Section:-
- Preparation and passing of salary bills for all regular employees of the Council and filing of monthly /quarterly/ yearly Income Tax returns.
- Passing the salary bills in respect of employees engaged on contract basis.
b) Funds Branch:-
- Maintenance of Accounts of General Provident Fund of NDMC employees.
- Sanction of advances and final withdrawal to the subscribers of GPF.
- Final settlement of GPF Accounts of retiring/deceased employees.
- Sanction of amount admissible under Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme to the families of the deceased employees wherever applicable.
- Investment of GP Fund accumulations as per policy/ guidelines given by the Council from time to time.
- Issuance of Annual Statement of Accounts to the subscribers.
- New Pension Scheme.
c) Accounts Branch:-
- Sanction of House Building Advance, Conveyance Purchase Advance, Computer Purchase Advance, Festival Advance etc. to the Municipal employees, passing the bills thereof for disbursement, watching the recoveries and maintaining accounts thereof.
- Passing the bills of empanelled hospitals and reimbursement of medical expenditure incurred by the employees for purchase of medicines, medical diagnosis, equipments etc. based on the recommendations of doctors of empanelled hospitals.
- Passing of bills relating to Grant-in-Aid to Aided schools and institution engaged in social and cultural activities.
- Passing of contingency bills.
- Passing of bills relating to TA/DA Advances, final bills of TA/DA etc.
- Passing of bills of vendors relating to PR Department and filing of Income Tax and D.Vat returns.
d) Investment Section:-
- Investment of available surplus funds of NDMC with various banks in accordance with the policy/guidelines given by the Investment Sub-Committee and approved by the Council.
- Receipt of Grant-in-Aid/Plan and Non-Plan funds for various schemes and MLA/MP Funds from Government of National Capital of Territory of Delhi and Central Government.
e) Pension Branch :-
- Settlement of Superannuation pension/family pension.
- Revision of superannuation pension/family pension.
- Consolidation of Superannuation/family pension.
- Passing of Superannuation of pension/family pension bills.
- Passing of gratuity bills.
- Passing of commuted value of pension bills.
- Issuance of pension book to the pensioners/family
- Reconciliation of disbursement of Pension Accounts with
- Maintenance of records of disbursement of superannuation pension/family pensions.
f) SLGIS BRANCH:-
- To keep the record of subscribers of SLGIS Scheme.
- To prefer SLGIS Schemes claims with LIC of India.
- Passing of bills of SLGIS claims received from LIC of India
and payable to the subscribers.
g) Accrual Based Accounting System:-
- The compilation of Monthly Annual Accounts of the Council.
- Classification of income and expenditures of the Council as a
- To provide actual expenditure to Budget Branch for preparation of budget in the form of G-4.
- Introduction of Double Entry System of Accounting known as Accrual Based of Accounting System.
- Preparation of financial statements.
h) Cash Branch:-
- Collection of municipal dues from the payer.
- Disbursement of salary to the staff and payment of
Contractor’s bills etc. through electronic modes.
- Reconciliation of Bank Account.
- To deposit the receipt through cheque and cash in the State
Bank of India on due dates.
- To make payment of all vouchers as passed and received on
day to day basis.
- Bank reconciliation work.
i) e-fin project Allocation of Business
The main functions of e financial Project Team are as follows:-
• To co-ordinate for Requirement gathering from the user departments and help in finalizations the System Requirement Specification after detailed discussions with the concerned officers and (Members of Core group) NDMC.
• User Acceptance Testing (UAT) before implementation.
• To coordinate between the user departments and M/s eGovernment Foundations in respect of any software related problem.
• To supervise of the work of development of software modules of eFinancial Software applications being developed by M/s eGovernment Foundations. for various departments of NDMC.
6. Duties to be performed:
The main duties performed by the officers of Accounts Departments and various accounting units of NDMC are as follows:-
- To record/get recorded initial entries of all financial transactions in the initial books of record and to ensure their proper maintenance.
- Preparation and submission of monthly Accounts.
- Preparation and submission of monthly broadsheet to AO (ABAS).
- Preparation and submission of monthly progress reports of works-in-progress/targets.
- To reconcile inter-divisional/ departmental monthly/quarterly Accounts and adjustment of differences.
- To reconcile the annual Accounts/March Financial Accounts with the ABAS Branch.
- To prepare and submit the annual accounts of the Division/Section.
- To control the budgets and maintain the Accounts books of records for budgetary control.
- To prepare the annual budget estimates/revised estimates of the division/section.
- To maintain Objection Book of Accountants.
- To test check and internally audit the accounts of sub-divisions/sections.
- To tender financial advice to the Divisional Officer.
- To maintain the Imprest Account of the Division and ensure its periodical recoupment.
- To maintain the Misc. Advance Register and ensure adjustment of outstanding advances.
- To assist Audit Party during the annual audit by Audit Party of Chief Auditor’s Office or IAB and present all books of accounts and other records as and when required by the Audit Party.
- To maintain the Voucher Registers and all the monthly vouchers properly.
- To maintain and keep updated all the subsidiary books/registers of accounts viz – property register, stock register, inventory register, T&P Register, Contractor Ledger and other related records/registers.
- To pass all the bills of expenditure after proper scrutiny and exercising all the checks.
- To check all the transactions of the division vis-à-vis regularity and propriety.
- To reply the audit para(s)/CTE observations and ensure settlement of the same.
- Any other work specially assigned by the Divisional Officer or the higher authorities.
7. Details of Services rendered:
The Accounts Department renders the following main services relating to general public:-
- Disbursement of pension/ family pension.
- Facilitating the public to pay their dues at a center nearest to their place of inhabitance/work more conveniently.
- Introducing the state of art collection centers within the vicinity of the consumers.
8. Citizen interaction:
The citizens interact with Accounts Department with regard to following:-
(a) Payment of their dues on account of various charges payable to NDMC.
(b) Collection of payments by vendors/suppliers on account of services rendered and supplies made.
(c) Redressal of grievances of pensioners/family members of deceased employees of NDMC.