Assistant Question Paper by SPSC
Sindh Public Service Commission, Hyderabad,
Pre-Interview Written Test for the post of Assistant (BPS-14) in SPSC Dated: 27th March 2012
01. Name the part of speech of each italicized word in the following sentences:
a) After the storm comes the calm.
b) Muslims fast in the month of Ramzan.
c) I will watch while you sleep.
d) Suddenly one of the wheels came off.
02. Supply suitable adjectives:
a) The battle of Waterloo ended in a __________ victory.
b) It is a _________ lie.
c) The injured man wants _________ advice.
d) _________ errors are not easily corrected.
03. Pick the correct sentence from the following:
a) Creation of universe.
b) The creation of the universe.
c) The creation of universe.
d) Creation of the universe.
04. Do as directed:
a) He says _______ he means, and means _____ he says. (Fill the blanks with suitable pronouns.
b) The dog bit the burglar. The burglar had broken into the house. (Join together the two sentences.)
c) The Taj Mahal which was build by Shah Jehan, is the finest mausoleum in the world. (Split the sentence into two)
d) The exhibition was opened by the governor. (Change the voice)
05. Do as directed:
a) I was afraid that if I asked him again he (can, may, might) refuse. (Choose the correct alternative.)
b) I have been working hard _______ arithmetic. (Fill in the blank with suitable preposition.)
c) He is not the man to allow any one to encroach ______ his rights. (Fill in the blanks with suitable preposition)
d) Superstitious fears preyed ________ his mind and made him miserable. (Fill in the blank with suitable preposition.
06) a) Everybody else went down to meet him in the train, but I did not. (Rewrite the compound sentence in simple one)
b) Which is the proper way to answer this question, father? The boy enquired. (change into indirect speech)
c) Alfred was the best king that ever reigned in England. (Change into negative sentence)
d) It is not likely that he will ever see his home again. (Change into affirmative)
07. a) “Go down to the bazaar. Bring me some oil and a lump of ice”. Ordered his master. (Change into indirect speech)
b) The speaker said that it gave him great pleasure to be there that evening. (Change into direct speech)
c) The fox cried out to the goat that a thought had just come into his head. (Change into direct speech)
d) The poor man exclaimed, “Will none of you help me?” (Change into indirect speech)
08. Choose the correct meaning of the idiom “A level playing field”.
a) To do justice
b) To provide equal chances
c) A fair situation
d) To avoid discrimination
09. “Down the drain” means:
10. “Under the counter” means:
a) Act secretly
b) To act that is not legal
c) To do favour
11. “From the bottom of one’s heart” means:
a) Showing deep love
b) With sincere feeling
c) Hidden emotion
d) Fulfilment of desire.
12. Identify one of the underlined words or phrase that should be rewritten or corrected:
The brain is made up of(A) billion of neurons(B) that differ with(C) each other greatly in size and shape.(D)
13. From the underlined words or phrases, identify the one that is not correct.
Men and women in the Peace Corps work(A) with people indeveloping(B) countries to help them improving(C) their living(D) conditions.
14. Choose the definition you believe is closest in meaning with the word “Resplendent”:
a) Many-coloured b) Lustrous and many coloured
c) Famous d) Luxurious
15. Choose the definition you believe is closest in meaning with the word “Flamboyant”:
a) Charming b) Blushing c) Friendly d) Showy or bombastic
16. Choose the definition you believe is closest in meaning with the word “Reprive”:
a) Suspension of a sentence b) The death penalty c)A repeated musical phrase
d) To censure
17. Choose the definition you believe is closest in meaning with the word “Irretrievable”:
a) Extremely valuable b) Damaged c) Full of holes
d) Gone forever
18. Correct the spellings of the following words:
a) Iresponcivnes b) Micelanious
c) Viccisitude d) Amaetor
19. Correct the spellings of the following words:
a) Montainer b) Opressevily
c) Pridestination d) Opprecion
20. Change the following into passive voice:
a) A thunderstorm often turns milk sour.
b) You cannot pump the ocean dry.
c) He promised me a present.
d) One may accomplish many things by a little effort.
21. Change the following into Active Voice:
a) The teacher was pleased with the boy’s work.
b) This question will be discussed at the meeting tomorrow.
c) He will be greatly surprise if he is chosen.
d) The tress were blown down by the wind.
22. I only go for a walk in the mornings. (Choose the sentence which conveys the correct meaning)
a) Nobody else goes for a walk.
b) Only in the morning I go for a walk
c) Only I go for a walk
d) I do not go for a walk in the evenings
23. I will finish my work today. (Choose the sentence which conveys the correct meaning)
a) I will take the whole of today to finish my work
b) I will finish my work before evening
c) I will not work at night
d) I will finish my work before nightfall
24. I have engaged him to act as my _______. (Fill in the blank by choosing the alternative that best completes the sentences.
a) Council b) Councel c) Counsel d) Cancel
25. I purchased a lot of vegetables.(Choose the correct interrogative)
a) How many things did you purchase?
b) What do you purchase?
c) What did you purchased?
d) What did you purchase?
26. The Indus Valley people knew the use of:
a) Gold, silver, copper, bronze but not iron
b) Copper, iron, gold but not bronze
c) Silver, lead, iron but not gold
d) Gold, tin, bronze and not copper
27. Which of the following is incorrect concerning Mohenjodaro?
a) There was no drainage system
b) It was a well-planned city
c) Buildings were varying sites.
d) Bathrooms were important features of most houses.
28. The first Mughal emperor to issue a farman in favour of British to open a factory at Surat was ________.
a) Aurangzeb b) Jehangir c) Akbar d) Shah Jehan
29. The office of Governor General of India was created by ________.
a) Charter Act, 1833 b) Charter Act, 1813
c) Govt of India Act, 1935 d) Govt of India Act, 1858
30. The Cripps Mission visited india in:
a) 1927 b) 1939 c) 1942 d) 1947
31. If the father has blood group A and the mother has blood group O, then which of the following blood groups may be found in their son?
a) O b) A c) B d) AB+
32. The amount of light entering the eye is regulated by:
a) Cornea b) Iris c) Pupil d) Schelra
33. The idea of Vaccination to prevent attack of measles are given by:
a) Alexander Fleming b) John Snow
c) Edward jenner d) Louis Pasteur
34. Barometer was invented by :
a) J.L Baird b) Torricelli c) Watson d) Darwin
35. Microphone is the invention of:
a) Shrapnel b) Berliner c) Bertsch d) Kirchof
36. The mosque of the Prophet (pbuh) was damaged due to the fire in the reign of:
a) Hazrat Amir Muawiyya b) Waleed bin Abdul Malik
c) Marwan d) None of these
37. Israel was the son of:
a) Hazrat Loot AS b) Hazrat Ishaq AS
c) Hazrat Yousaf AS d) Hazrat Ibrahim AS
38. Bait-e-Rizwan was made to take the revenge of:
a) Hazrat Hamza RA b) Hazrat Usman RA
c) Hazrat Ali RA d) Hazrat Umer RA
39. Hazrat Zakriya AS was the contemporary of __________:
a) Hazrat Uzair AS b) Hazrat Younis AS
c) Hazrat Isa AS d) Hazrat Yousaf AS
40. Which prophet has been called as Zun-Noon in the holly Qurran?
a) Hazrat Yousaf AS b) Hazrat Younis AS
c) Hazrat Isa AS d) Hazrat Ibrahim AS
41. What are asteroids?
a) A piece of falling stars b) Rocks found on the moon
c) Very small planets revolving around the sun
d) satellites of other planets
a) have ice in them, which cools down the temperature
b) work on the principle of compression and expansion of liquids
c) work on the principle of cooling of gases
d) none of these
43. Heat travels from one object to another when the objects have different:
a) Thermal energies b) Specific heats
c) Temperatures d) Heat capacities
44. Sericulture is:
a) Science of the various kinds of serum
b) Artificial rearing a fish
c) Art of silk worm breeding
d) Study of various cultures of a community
45. Our galaxy is:
a) Two-third of universe
b) one-fifth of universe
c) almost the whole universe
d) only the tiny part of universe
46. The security council passed its first resolution on Kashmir on:
a) 07th Jan 1948 b) 10th Jan 1948
c) 17th Jan 1948 d) 27th Jan 1948
47. Which leader of Pakistan held talks on Kashmir with Indian Prime Minister Nehru in 1953?
a) Liaqat Ali Khan b) Khuwaja Nazim uddin
c) H S Suharwardi d) Muhammad Ali Bogra
48. What is the Sir Creek issue between Pakistan and India?
a) Boundary dividing Rajastan and Punjab
b) Issue of boundary line marking Rann of Kutch
c) Line regarding channel of Sir Creek
d) Boundary dividing Rajastan and Sindh
49. Pakistan took the dispute of Baglihar Dam to the World Bank on:
a) 23rd March 2003 b) 17th June 2004
c) 06th Aug 2004 d) 18th Jan 2005
50. On which date, fifty nations signed the charter of UNO in San Francisco?
a) 16th Sep 1944 b) 11th May 1945
c) 26th June 1945 d) 06th Aug 1946.
Visitors found this page by searching for: